Standing the test of time, Indian Banks Circa 1699 & 1728 has witnessed over three hundred years of history & the founding of a nation. An icon on Virginia's Northern Neck, Indian Banks is situated on Morattico Creek at its confluence with the Rappahannock River. In August 1608, Captain John Smith visited the Moraughtacund Native Americans at their principal village on the Northern Neck near present day Indian Banks. This site was patented in 1652 by Thomas Glasscock, who received six hundred acres of land on Morattico Creek in return for the surrender of a grant of two hundred acres on Piankatank River, (which he had received upon his emigration to America in 1643). In 1728, Captain Glasscock married Ester Ball (a cousin of George Washington) & took up residence here. Initials inscribed with a masonic symbol on one of the bricks contains the initials of George Washington, whom the engraving is attributed to. The truly captivating Manor House is distinctly English in its architecture containing Jacobean elements on the North side of the house and an Early Colonial / Georgian emphasis on the river facing side, which was always the more formal, front of the house. Flemish Bond brickwork with glazed headers and a rare Scrolled Soffit above main entrance (one of only two known examples in VA) are special special architectural features of this exquisite early Manor House with a commanding presence from the Rappahannock River and Morattico Creek. Towering ancient trees frame the view along with a boxwood walled garden and boxwood allees. Several varieties of Magnolia, iris, peonies, figs, pecan, and other ancient plantings provide interest year-round. Rivers of Daffodils in the spring! Recent upgrades include high speed internet, upgraded berber carpet in the 1st floor primary bedroom & upstairs dressing rooms. Featured multiple times on the Historic Garden Week in Virginia Tour, Indian Banks is convenient to Richmond, Washington D.C., Tappahannock, Fredericksburg & Williamsburg. The location is also ideal as far as ease of access with Kilmarnock being 17 minutes away and Warsaw, VA being a mere 15 minutes away. All of the amenities that one would associate with Northern Neck living are convenient, including world class resorts and restaurants, wineries, festivals, fresh oysters and other seafood, boat charters, movie theaters, marinas, antiques, art galleries, museums, fabulous wineries, farmers markets, historic sites and so much more. This property is in fabulous condition for a home of this period with an assortent of dependencies and out buildings including a historic cabin with full basement, guest cottage, historic and remodeled barns, chicken coops, garden sheds, glorious gardens and more. A truly remarkable find and historic treasure!
Single Family, Single Family-Detached, Colonial, Georgian, 2 Story
Hot Water Heater, Electric Water Heater, Well
3,684 sq. ft
Yes - 2 spaces
Richmond County Public Schools
Detailed Room Information
- Kitchen, Laundry Room, Living Room, Foyer, Library, Attic
- Country Kitchen
- Cook Top Range, Dishwasher, Dryer, Electric Dryer, Microwave, Self-Cleaning Oven, Wall Oven, Electric Range/Cooktop, Refrigerator, Appliance Center, Stove, Washer
- Ceramic Tile, Slate, Carpet, Wood
- Central Air, Electric, Heat Pump, Ceiling Fan(s)
- Electric Heating, Oil. Heat Pump.
- Wood Frame
- 7. Brick, Wood-burning.
- 32 Inch Or More Wide Doors, 36 Inch Or More Wide Halls, Grab Bars, Low Pile Carpeting, Entry Level Bedroom.
- Additional Interior Features
- Attic Storage, Breakfast Area, Built-Ins, Cedar Closet, Chair Rail, Crown Molding, 9Ft+ Ceilings, High Ceiling
Exterior / Lot Features
- 2 Garage Spaces. Street Parking, Circular Driveway, Driveway, Private.
- Porch, Patio, Brick, Screened-in
- Metal, Slate, Hip
- Lot View
- Panoramic, River, Scenic, Pasture
- Body of Water
- Rappahannock River / Morattico Creek
- Board Fence
- Additional Exterior/Lot Features
- Riprap, Water Front, Private Dock, Exterior Lighting, Flood Lights, Satellite Dish, Out Building, Playground, Fishing.
Active Market Trends
Median list price
Days On Market
Properties For Sale
Sold Market Trends
Median sold price
Median Sq. Ft. Price